To Serge, With Love

From sewing

I was "Lulu" and my brand new Bernina Serger was my "Sidney Poitier." My sewing life had gone astray and I needed inspiration, motivation, and a reason to sew! For Christmas, my mother in law, my sister and my mom got me gift cards to the workroom. I was finally going to get myself a serger to inspire me to do all those sewing projects that I've been meaning to do. Sure, I didn't *need* a serger, but it sure made sewing more exciting!

For those that don't know: a serger is like a sewing machine, but is perfect for overlocking the edges of fabric so it won't fray. Take a look at any tshirt: the hem is usually serged.

From sewing

On Sunday afternoon, I read through Stylish Dress Book and decided on dress 'B', which is actually a shirt. (I have to admit that Karyn's fabulous dress 'B' was most inspirational.) I had this beautiful Moda fabric that I purchased several months ago: dragonflies and hummingbirds!

From sewing

I had previously made two dresses from the book: both from taking a class at the workroom. The entire book is in Japanese, and although the tourists in Morocco would argue that I couldn't possibly be anything but Japanese, let alone Canadian, I can't read a word of Japanese. The class taught us how to *assume* what they are telling us to do: plan the whole thing out and look at the pictures. (A recipe stand comes in really handy as well: this was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law. It folds up and tucks away like a book!)

From sewing

I spent all afternoon tracing the pattern, cutting the fabric, serging, and sewing. After many uses of the seam-ripper, I was one sleeve short of finishing the entire shirt!!!

What dedication! What progress! On Monday, not only did I finish the shirt, but I started another -- which I promptly finished the next evening. Don't I look fabulous?

From sewing

From sewing

After three dresses/shirts from this book, I realized that I was terrible at bias tape. TERR-ible. Since I had borrowed Funny Girl from the library, I decided to do all the bias tape by hand in front of the tv. Doesn't the sleeve look perfect? I also decided to keep the serged hemline: I've moved up in the world. No more frayed edges! No more double folded hems! "Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone..."

From sewing

Jennifer Anne  – (January 15, 2010 at 12:55 AM)  

I've said it once (or twice, or three times), and I'll say it again: You're my hero

Kandice –   – (January 15, 2010 at 9:36 AM)  

Love the tops! With a nice jean jacket on top, it will look really cute!

Anonymous –   – (January 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM)  

Great job Kelly!!! Love the shirts! -Magda

wubecca –   – (January 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM)  

love the shirts! let's trade - a bag from my end for a bag or shirt from you! 'cept mine will be storebought... but a loverly one =)

Kelly  – (January 16, 2010 at 10:56 PM)  

Aw, you girls are too nice. I'm beaming when I read your comments! Rebecca: of course I'll make something for you!!! As long as you have no timeline expectations, a bag or shirt you will have (one day!)

Cheryl  – (January 19, 2010 at 9:31 AM)  

These tops are GORGEOUS Kelly. Seriously... can I pay you to make some for me? I'm still sewing blankets for my daughter and I haven't gotten much better. HA. I blame the Singer machine!

Kelly  – (January 19, 2010 at 9:53 AM)  

Hi Cheryl! Do you recognize the fabric? both from pinkpandafabrics.com!
I love sewing things for people: as long as they don't have a timeline... you'll be surprised how long it takes me to get around to stuff. We'll be in touch ;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP