In honour of my grandma

I vicariously donate blood.


Often, I find myself wanting to try something new and fabulous but don't: for fear that it doesn't work out, or I never finish what I start, or -- let's face it -- I'm too lazy.

I once told a friend (more a friend of my sister) that I wanted to make my own shoes. Homemade shoes!!! How hard could it be?

Some may say "you'll never know until you try." I sometimes find myself preferring "some ideas are terrible, and it's a good thing you never tried." The trick is knowing which ideas are the bad ones, and which ones may be worth the effort. My Homemade shoes never came to fruition. Maybe I need to focus on better ideas.


For years now, I've had bad blood. Literally. My whole immediate family does. We lived in England for almost 2 years and Canadian Blood Services thinks we might have the human version of Mad Cow disease (formally known as Variant Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease.) As such, I am not allowed to donate blood.

I've always wanted to start some tradition of bringing someone to the blood clinic with me: ask/trick them into donating on my behalf. I wanted to start a campaign to Donate Blood Because the Fongs Can't (the DBBtFC campaign.)

Some ideas are bad. How could this one be bad? I needed a push in the right direction.
Today is the one month anniversary of my grandmother's funeral. She was battling cancer since late last year but was able to attend our family Christmas celebration in high spirits. I was told that one of the reasons my grandma was able to fight as hard as she did was the dozen or more blood transfusions that the hospital so generously gave her throughout her battle.

How's this for a push? My grandma was loved by many. How many of us donated blood?
So here's my motivation. My grandmother's transfusions helped her smile when we didn't think she had the strength. I can't donate blood, but maybe I can move you to help someone smile.
I was worried that this "campaign" would flop. But this wasn't my homemade shoe. This was a much, much better idea.

In honour of my grandma, I would like to start the Grandma Initiative. One day, one of your loved ones (maybe your grandma) will need blood. Wouldn't it feel great knowing that you helped contribute?
Please pass along this Initiative! Visit the Canadian Blood Services website and find a clinic near you.
Donate, and if you're willing, post a comment on this blog or the summarized Grandma Initiative posting. I would love to know that although I can't donate blood, I've convinced people to donate on my behalf.

Don't let this be my homemade shoe!

Quick Links:
Grandma Initiative
Clinic near you.
Can you donate blood?
An article with benefits of donating blood.
Another article with benefits of donating blood.


Dustin  – (May 6, 2009 at 9:03 PM)  

I have a blood donation appointment scheduled for May 21st at 6pm at the downtown clinic at 67 College Street. If anyone's up for it, I'd love some company. Drop me a line if you're interested.

-Dustin

Jenn –   – (May 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM)  

I am interested!

Laurie –   – (May 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM)  

I tried donating blood once (last year) and it turns out, I can only fill half a bag... I just have bad blood circulation and a weak heart. I wish I could give more blood :(
But I did join the gym and I'm working on it!

Kevin –   – (May 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM)  

I gave blood a few months ago because I had the same idea and wanted to offset the blood being used by grandma...and I'm going again this week. Not only do you find out what blood type you are, you get free juice and cookies :)

Heather  – (May 7, 2009 at 7:14 AM)  

I have an appointment to give on May 26th at 6:00 in the Eden United Church if anyone would like to join me in getting their Mississauga donation on.

Carlo Lee  – (May 7, 2009 at 10:14 AM)  

I am lazy too. If there's a blood drive in my neck of the woods and there are a crowd of people I know who is gonna do it than I'd go and do it. Even despite the free juice and cookie! :)

Anonymous –   – (May 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM)  

Dear Kelly,

I'm so proud of you and this effort. I will definitely look to see where I can donate in the country. There is often not enough of this life-saving nourishment to go around, so in honour of your Grandma I will make this a priority. Also, I'm sure your Grandma is looking down on you right now with a great big smile and a heart bursting with pride! Your Nana is probably doing the same! Congratulations too in setting up your blog! With love to both you and Dustin, Robin

Kevin –   – (May 8, 2009 at 11:24 PM)  

You can add 2 ticks to your counter Kelly...I gave blood today and brought a friend too :)

Melanie –   – (May 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM)  

Kelly,

I love the Grandma Initiative. I have been donating regularly since I was 17 and will continue to do my part. Thank you for spreading the word. It doesn't take much to donate blood and it makes such a difference.

Dustin  – (May 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM)  

I donated my blood! My next appointment is at 6pm on July 16th in downtown Toronto. Anyone want to join me?

Daniel  – (June 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM)  

June 16, 2009
They took a huge bag of blood away!

However, they did give me a bagel, a fruit cup, and Tang.

Next donation is in August.

Kelly  – (June 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM)  

Yay, Dan!!!!

I've updated the ticker to 4!
Donated to date: Dan, Dustin, Kevin, and Kevin's friend.

Heather –   – (April 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM)  

Donated again last week. YAY!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP