Gingerbread Engagement Cookies


Hello friends! Long time... I know. So much to tell you about!

First, let me share about one of my best friends, Paula. She is my Italian-other-half. She is responsible for my love for risotto, homemade lasagna, gnocchi, tiramisu, the list goes on.

Paula recently got engaged to her beau, Blair! So exciting! As (two of) her honoured bridesmaids, Alison and I threw her a super casual engagement party with a few Toronto friends and family.

As a party favour, I made ginger bread cookies (perhaps inspired by Blair... who knows).

I don't think gingerbread is among the list of all-time-favourite-cookies. People tend to prefer the chocolate chip, the double chocolate chip, the oatmeal raisin, the macadamia white chocolate, my favourite whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip. But those don't work well with cookie cutters.

So I went on a hunt for a good gingerbread recipe, a good icing recipe, and cute little cookie cutters.

I found the cookie cutters at St Lawrence Market.  There's a little gold mine of cooking/baking supplies at a place called Placewares.  They have everything.  Even the cookie bags and silver twist ties.

The gingerbread recipe was adapted from thejoyofbaking.com and the icing recipe was from this site.

The cookies were such a hit! I think the secret to gingerbread is making sure it's still soft and chewy. This recipe wasn't too sweet or overpowering with spices. Most recipes call for nutmeg and cloves. I just used cinnamon. The other change I made to the recipe was the ginger. I used fresh finely grated ginger rather than the ground stuff. Enjoy!

Congrats, Paula and Blair!




Mrs. Niles and Juanita  – (June 19, 2011 at 8:04 AM)  

OH yum. I love gingerbread cookies. Sophie F has a GREAT recipe, in case you want another one....and congrats to Paula and Blair!!! That's so exciting!

OneCraftyFox  – (June 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM)  

These are really cute Kelly, what a sweet idea!

Paula  – (June 20, 2011 at 7:45 AM)  

LOVED the cookies. Yummiest gingerbread I've ever had.
Thanks again!!

Jennifer Anne  – (June 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM)  

SUPER CUTE kel! They looked great. Well worth the trip to st. Lawrance and the heartache of ginger bread baking.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP