Pleated Marble Dress

Another wedding season means more dresses! I was determined to sew at least one new dress this year, especially since I had such success with my first party dress.


I still feel most confident sewing with cotton, so I made a quick trip to the workroom and picked up a beautiful pale sage marbled print by Princess Mirah Batiks.

I was inspired by this beautiful pleated strapless dress by BCBG and decided to modify the Mary Adams pattern to have a fitted pleated dress.


Modifying dress patterns is hard! There's a lot of math to get everything to fit just right. I knew I wanted to create the pleated detail, add pockets, and even try to mimic the peekaboo lining.

I think I was quite successful in achieving all three details. The difficulty with a cotton dress is that it tends to wrinkle, and doesn't fall or drape as nicely as a more silky fabric.  I think I should have made the lining out of a different fabric so it didn't stick to the cotton dress as much.

In the end, dress number 2 from Mary Adam's dress book was still great.  It's such a great pattern that can be used over and over with slight modifications (but not without a little headache)!


Ruslana  – (July 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM)  

I can comment now!! Yay!! :)

Anonymous –   – (July 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM)  

Wow! looks super awesome!
~9sc44

Anonymous –   – (July 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM)  

I absolutely love the dress! Great job Kelly :D
-Magda

Jennifer Anne  – (July 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM)  

You are amazing. Really. I'm blown away every time! Teach me your ways, please.

Tammy –   – (July 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM)  

Love love love - you are so talented Kel:)

Emily  – (July 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM)  

The peekaboo hem is ADORABLE!

Krystle K.  – (August 4, 2011 at 2:40 PM)  

Thanks again for reading and commenting, Kel! I swear I probably wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't bugged me to do it. Planning another one soon around crafts (for the tentatively named "Fingerwork" category).

You will have to teach me how to sew sometime! I love this dress and I'd love to make something pretty =)

kelly z –   – (August 9, 2011 at 1:33 PM)  

this dress is gorgeous! well done kelly! it's too cute.

OneCraftyFox  – (August 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM)  

You did an amazing job, sweetie!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP