Hats off to Lily!

Lily Marilla Dunwell was born on February 9th at 3:30pm weighing 6 lb 13 oz!


Her name is a nod to heroic characters in J. K. Rowling and L. M. Montgomery's famous stories of wizardry and imagination.

Lily was actually born a few days before her due date (in true Kelly-style: "arriving early with lots of time to compensate for unplanned events") and I have several partial blog posts that are ready to be finished up and shared with you!

I had made a conservative sewing "to-do" list for the expected arrival of Lily, and I managed to finish every single one of them (including her recently completed houndstooth quilt.)  I didn't plan to make any clothing for Lily, as our generous friends and family have showered her with plenty of this season's latest and greatest fashions. I did, however, notice that all the hats we received were quite large, including the one that we registered for (What was I thinking? 6-9 months baby hat? For the summer months??).


I found a blog post on Made by Rae where Rae makes a newborn hat out of an old T-shirt. She used a template from Martha Stewart and modified it slightly. I also modified slightly (the tutorial on Martha Stewart's site is dismal) and made the hat out of flannel.

I scaled the pattern so the length of the hat from front to back was about 7 inches and I used two different fabrics for the outside and inside so that it was reversible.  It turned out so great and took such little time that I whipped up another one for my friend Magda.  I thought about doing a step-by-step tutorial for this hat, so if anyone is interested, please leave a comment and I'll see what I can do!

Magda's baby isn't due for another few weeks but hopefully we'll get the babies modelling both hats at some point!

Magda  – (February 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM)  

Thanks again for the hat Kelly :) It's super cute!

Unknown  – (February 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM)  

Congratulations Kelly, Dustin...May God bless little Lily

Jenny K –   – (February 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM)  

Super adorable Lily!!!
Congratulations Kelly. Hope you'd have a speedy recovery!

Chris –   – (March 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM)  

Congratulations! Super cute hat for a super cute baby.

If you have time, at say 3am, I'd love to see the tutorial!

angelune  – (March 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM)  

Congrats! Your baby is so sweet, and I'm glad to see you're doing well and still sewing ;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP