If I had my little way, I'd eat peaches everyday



The variety of fresh fruit in our CSA food box is limited. Obviously, because it's a *local* food box, and there's only so much that is grown indoors.  We get a handful of fresh apples or pears every so often.

The Culinarium (from whom we receive our local food goodies) will occasionally give us frozen fruit, which is great. Especially when we get peaches. Peaches freeze so well. They keep their shape, colour, and flavour beautifully.

But what else can you bake besides peach cobbler? Or crisp?

Ina's newest cookbook How Easy Is That? has a recipe for Fresh Peach Cake.  In the margin, there's a little note that frozen peaches work just as well (just thaw the fruit before using.)






It's a delicious coffee cake with layers of peaches and a cinnamon-sugary top. I didn't quite have enough peaches, so I might half the recipe next time and opt for far too many peaches. Or make sure to have at least a pound of frozen peaches.

I did find that it took far too long for the centre to bake. Next time I might try separating into two smaller baking dishes. Maybe two small loaf pans. But maybe you prefer a very crusty edge? Just keep baking until a toothpick (or a raw spaghetti noodle in my case) comes out clean when inserted into the very centre.

The cake was delicious. Although the edges were crispy, it was still moist. A perfect not-so-sweet dessert (perfect for the Chinese pallet) that works for breakfast, too.

I might actually look into freezing some peaches this summer so I can have enough frozen peaches to get me through next winter!








Paula  – (April 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM)  

Goin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches... YUM!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP