Under there. Underwear?

Remember when Jenn and I went lace shopping on a beautiful Saturday morning? We had signed up for a class at the workroom to learn to sew our own underwear. The class was great. We learned to make two different types of underwear: a Brazilian Hipster (shown below my post) and a Low Rise Bikini.



I hadn't shared with you the end product of the class because, well, although I had fun, my sewing wasn't great and I knew I could do better. The plan was to go home, try it all again, and share about the really great underwear I learned how to sew.

That's exactly what Jenn did. She immediately went home, sewed a few more pairs and posted about it. Both classes.

I wasn't so studious. It wasn't until a month ago when I realized that I desperately needed to go underwear shopping and remembered my vow that I would sew my own underwear.

I'm so glad I did.

Here are a couple things I did to make the process a little easier.

1. I focused on the Low Rise Bikini: no need to find stretch lace material, and no need to figure out sizing adjustments because the fit wasn't perfect.

2. Reduce the amount of decorate trim: that was the hardest part in the class, learning how to sew the stretch trim to the underwear. I stuck to a top trim and nixed the trim around the thigh. Bonus: I had smooth, panty-line-free underwear.

Once I reminded myself of the sewing steps, the cutting, sewing, and applying of trim took a total of maybe an hour.

It's actually a really great on-going project to have hanging around. When I need a break from a large quilting project (I've been working on one for several months now...) I just pick up the stretch jersey, cut out the three pieces and sew them together. In one meter correction: 1/2 meter of fabric, I can get at least 4 pairs of underwear. And they fit perfectly!







Mrs. Niles and Juanita  – (September 25, 2011 at 7:41 AM)  

Can you give me a private tutorial when you're here at thanksgiving?? I will have a year to practice!

Kelly  – (September 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM)  

Mrs. Niles: OF COURSE!!! I think you'd pick it up in no time. Not sure about Juantina, though. She should just watch for now.

Krystle K.  – (September 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM)  

I love the pair with the fuchsia lace! Do you plan to learn lace-making at any point? Seems like it could be fun =) And I think they look pretty darn awesome; pray do not disparage your sewing, madame!

Emily  – (September 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM)  

I see London. I see France. I see Kelly's underpants!

The fuchsia/plum colour combo is awesome.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP