Quinzhee!

From Out and About

I've only played "Yahtzee" once, but I remember that you get to yell "Yahtzee!" when you win!

I like that "quinzhee" sounds like "yahtzee" so that I got to yell "Quinzhee!" when we worked the better part of an afternoon last weekend to build a snow hut. It's a nice yelling word: "Quinzhee!"

A quinzhee is a cross between a snow cave and an igloo. It is made by piling snow into a (very) large mound and then digging out a roomy hole. The science works. It's incredible. The hardest part for me was shoveling snow into the pile. The whole left side of my upper back was sore the next day; apparently, I'm not an ambi-shoveler.

From Out and About

We managed to sleep in it for 2 hours that night until we decided that our dog was too cold, and that my sleeping bag was *just* not warm enough to be comfortable all night. (I think Angela could have stayed all night if she hadn't been so lonely.)

From Out and About

If you ever have the chance, I highly recommend you try to build yourself a quinzee. If not just to have the opportunity to yell "Quinzee!"

(I just realized this was my 50th blog post!!! 50! Yay! "Quinzhee!!!!!")

From Out and About

Jennifer Anne  – (March 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM)  

Fantastic. I'm impressed that you even attempted to sleep in there.

Unrelated topic - here is a new recipe for beets:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_hummus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+elise%2Fsimplyrecipes+(Simply+Recipes)

Cheryl  – (April 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM)  

Incredible! Good for you for building it. I don't think I have enough energy and strength to pile snow like that. That and I hate winter. HAHA

Good for you for sleeping 2 hours in it too. I would have bolted after 5 minutes ;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP