Bah Hamburger

Happy New Year!!! I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season. My Christmas was filled with the usual too-much-delicious-food.


Most of our meals were the usual yummy Christmas foods: turkey, stuffing, roast beef, lobster... We were also spoiled with my parents' amazing home cooking. But this Christmas, the hamburger -- yes: hamburger -- made not one, but two appearances.

In Ottawa, we had lunch with my sister at The Works, a gourmet burger joint with a touch of workshop pizazz. Milkshakes are served in pyrex measuring cups; the salt and pepper shaker are incandescent lightbulbs. And the burgers are huge. Dustin ordered the Hamburger Mary (real mayo, fried egg, ripe red tomato, cheddar cheese & crisp bacon strips) and I ordered the Big Ben Plus (montreal smoked meat, sauerkraut, & swiss...a la Kravitz with mustard) but with a portobello mushroom instead of a beef patty. I ate maybe half of my burger.





In Toronto, we went for a nice dinner at Mildred's Temple Kitchen. From the name, you'd think it was a cozy little rustic restaurant, but it was quite the chic little lofty restaurant. I ordered a seared tuna with grilled eggplant on polenta. Dustin: the hamburger. Usually I would try a nibble or two of burger. This burger was so delicious I took 3 bites.





For dessert we ordered profiteroles. If you wanted to order a "mini dessert burger", the profiterole would be it. The puff pastry "bun" was light and crisp, the ice cream "patty" was sodarn tasty. It's been a good burger holiday. I don't think we'll be making a habit of it, but I just found out that Mildred's Temple Kitchen is participating in Winterlicious. And the burger is on the menu...



Jennifer Anne  – (January 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM)  

I'm salivating at my desk. I've been dying to try Mildred's. Good to hear that it's worth the wait. They actually had a groupon out a while ago and I am kicking myself for not purchasing it! Well... if you need someone to dine winterlicious with you...

PS. Have you tried the Burger Shoppe at Ossington and Dundas. Also tasty. GREAT poutine!

Emily  – (January 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM)  

such a clever post title! love it.

I second the commenter above... if you need a winterlicious pal...

wubecca –   – (January 13, 2011 at 11:41 AM)  

yay, you're back! happy christmas and new year! the hamburgers look faboosh and makes me wanna go eat one tonite. hope you'n'd had a great holiday - make sure to stalk me on fb! xoxo

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP