done well: now in a book!

Dustin totally won the "best Christmas present" award this year.


The judging system consists of up to 10 points for taste, 5 points for presentation, and 5 points for originality. Yes, this is the judging system used by Iron Chef.

My Christmas present to Dustin was a new wallet.

3 points for taste (100% leather plain black-brown non-designer wallet), 4 points for presentation (I wrapped it in a cute green and blue paper with a matching blue bow; bonus marks for double sided tape), 1 point for originality (I bought him a wallet 8 years ago; that wallet was falling apart, so I bought him another one).

Total: 8 points.

Dustin's present to me: MY BLOG IN A BOOK!



Let's break it down.

Taste: 9 points. He chose a hard cover 7"x7" cute, small size; it was printed on high quality paper by Blurb, and he kept the jacket cover simple.

Presentation: 1 point. It didn't arrive in the mail until after Christmas. Packaging was FedEX. 1 point for the easy-open-rip-tab.

Originality: 5 points. I was so surprised and soooo excited about this gift. I've mentioned in passing about backing up my blog in case something happened to blogger.com and perhaps to make it into a book. Super extra bonus marks for doing all the layout designs and personalized dedication on the jacket sleeve.

Total: 15 points. Destroyed me.

I love writing this blog. I wish I had more time to make my posts creative, but flipping through the book brought back so many great memories of adventurous and creative things that have happened in this short time.

Here are some pictures of how great the book turned out:

1. In Honour of my Grandma / My Grandma Initiative: the post that started it all. I had to wipe my tears when writing this post because I could no longer see what I was typing. I miss my grandma.


2. Tomato and Thyme Risotto: I got to write so many great things about my balcony garden and all the fruit and veggies that I made into delicious dishes!


3. Boy, am I ever beet! I went through quite the ordeal trying to find recipes for all those beets that came in our CSA box.


4. My Birdie Sling Factory: the Amy Butler Birdie Sling will always be one of my favourite things to sew.


5. Beautiful BC: my amazing trip to Garibaldi Park and the crazy hike up to the Black Tusk!


6. That's my girl: the back cover of the book was the original picture I used for my blog. My beautiful doggie (with a real knack for making you feel guilty leaving her alone at home).


Thanks so much to all of you for reading my blog! It's so motivating to hear from you through comments and emails. Here's to many more great memories and many more great blog books!

Emily  – (January 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM)  

You gave Dustin a 15?! 15?! I think he's deserving extra points for originality... and thoughtfulness... and time and effort to put the book together...

p.s thank you for writing.

Magda  – (January 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM)  

That's so sweet! He totally deserves a 30 for this one... ok maybe 29 since it didn't make it in time for Christmas! ;) We've made several of these books so I totally appreciate how much work it was to put it together!

Kelly  – (January 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM)  

I feel the need to reiterate that the marking scheme is out of 20. Dustin received a 15 on 20. Hey, don't look at me. I didn't make the marking system, Iron Chefs did. Iron Chefs! And what good is it if there is no room to improve? ;)

wubecca –   – (January 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM)  

that is an amazing gift! it looks awesome from the pages throughout the book. you are officially an author of a book =) but where he end it? i'm sure they'll be volume II at some point!

Sophie –   – (January 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM)  

That is so thoughtful and wonderful of your husband! I might have to show your blog to Ben for ideas :) I'd give him 19.5/20 Penalty for it not arriving in time for Christmas...but on the plus side, that probably allowed a couple more blog entries to be included!

OneCraftyFox  – (January 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM)  

How awesome, you have the best husband ever!! So thoughtful, so sweet! Your blog, and you, are absolutely wonderful :)

I LUVS Blurb!! Use it for all our vacation photos.

Elisabeth  – (February 2, 2011 at 8:04 PM)  

WOW. What a great idea.
But I have to agree with the others, you short-changed Dustin on the points.
19.8/20.
Seriously.

Liz Henderson –   – (April 12, 2011 at 7:32 AM)  

This gift definitely proves that you guys are made for each other, if there was ever any doubt (which there wasn't). You are like Jim and Pam (only she made him a comic book instead). Love the blog Kelly. Good job!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP