Check out my muffin tops!

From Food


Chinese people have a philosophy about food and healing: if your liver is weak, eat liver; if you have heart problems, eat heart; if your pancreas is subpar, munch on pancreas.

As my love-handles grow, and my consumption of muffin tops increase, I can't help but wonder how much truth there is to the (ridiculous) Chinese philosophy.

Several CSA food boxes ago, our pantry item was Red Fife Flour. I'm not a bread maker -- not unless I use my parents' bread maker. So the flour just sat in our pantry until this past weekend when I decided to use it in my usual banana bread recipe.

From Food

My go-to recipe for banana bread is actually a low-fat banana cake recipe from the Eat, Shrink, and be Merry ladies, Janet and Greta. The recipe works great for substitutions: change the cake to muffins, swap out the chocolate chips for coarse chocolate powder, add oatmeal for a heartier muffin... Everything works. And substituting half of the white flour with the red fife flour worked like a charm.

I've read, watched, or heard somewhere that whenever you want to swap out white flour for whole wheat you should only swap out half of it. Sounds like something Alton would have taught me (likely whilst dressed as a wheat germ.) I decided that since the Red Fife flour was a whole grain flour, I should do the half-swap.

I also got some amazing frozen blueberries in a CSA box not too long ago: a perfect addition to the modified, modified, banana bread. How many cups of blueberries did I add? LOTS. The frozen blueberries kept the dough deliciously moist.

My concoction became Red Fife Banana and Blueberry Muffins!

Here is the original recipe. I used 1 cup white flour and 1 cup Red Fife flour. I got rid of the chocolate chips, and added at least a cup and a half of blueberries. Fill muffin tins almost all the way with the dough: they won't rise that much. Bake for 30 mins or until golden on top and a spaghetti or toothpick or skewer comes out clean (make sure you check the ones in the middle of the pan.) Enjoy!

From Food

From Food

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP