Sunbonnet Stella


When I signed up for the Sampler Quilt class at the workroom, I learned 6 different quilting patterns. My favourite was the appliqué. It was so nice to do some handsewing: in front of the tv, at home with my mommy, at a beautiful cottage getaway.

My next project of choice was the Sunbonnet Sue, a popular pattern from the 1930s. When I found out that my good friends Gianni and Shawna were having a baby girl, I abandoned the original (gender neutral) quilt I was working on, and started up a super cute, pink-and-violet sunbonnet sue quilt.

I used a pattern from quilter's cache, picked 4 different fabrics for the bonnets and the dresses, and then used some of the leftover fabric to make some offset squares to add to the quilt.




Besides the machine-piecing of the 12 blocks, the rest of the quilt was done by hand. Four sewing needles later, I had perfected my technique (which I learned mostly from this youtube video). I stitched around every sunbonnet sue, every offset square, all the sashing, and even quilted circles into the border.  My finishing touch was to personalize the back with a personalized appliqué just for baby Stella.

She's totally worth it. TOTALLY.

Mrs. Niles  – (April 13, 2011 at 6:38 AM)  

Oh that is such a cute quilt!!! Good job!

Unknown  – (April 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM)  

You are my hero. I want to do everything you do.

wubecca –   – (April 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM)  

amaaazing! you are awesome! love it =)

Magda  – (April 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM)  

I love it Kelly! It turned out great :)

Paula  – (April 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM)  

My heart is melting... Again!!! It looks extra wonderful with her on it !

Gianni –   – (April 16, 2011 at 3:59 AM)  

Thanks again Kel - Stella loves it!

Shawna –   – (April 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM)  

This will always be her special blankie - it is so beautiful! Thanks Kelly :)

Krystle K. –   – (April 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM)  

SO adorable! Between the appliquéd name and the sunbonnet girls... super cute =)

Emily  – (May 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM)  

I LOVE this quilt. Sue is adorable; Stella even more so.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP