Variations on a Japanese Dress 'B'



When I first got my serger, I took out one of my Japanese Dress Books (Stylish Dress Book) and whipped up two shirts from the Dress 'B' pattern.

It's a really great pattern, and definitely the one I recommend you start with if you've been itching to try one of these crazy patterns. I had been following some of Karyn's blog posts about these Japanese books, and then I took one of her classes at the workroom.  I think everyone in the class tried to pick a complicated pattern so we could learn as much as we could from Karyn. Having gone through that, I actually recommend just picking a simple pattern that you can take your time with, love it, and want to make over and over.

Dress 'B' is great. Karyn has also made it twice. There are 4 pattern pieces: front, back, and two parts of the sleeve. But I messed up and didn't understand the part about the two sections of the sleeve (to get a bit of a puff) so I just made it one sleeve pattern with no puff.  This latest version doesn't even have a sleeve. I just finished the armhole with bias tape. One part lazy, one part hope-for-warmer-weather.

I also decided to deepen the neckline. This fabric was purchased at a bolt sale in Toronto. I want to say it's pure silk. But it cost me $3 for over 2m of fabric. So I'm going to go ahead and say that it's a "silk polyester blend."

When I went lace shopping with Jenn, I purchased some peachy lace to finish the hemline of this shirt.

One day, when I own a gorgeous sewing studio with my partner in crime, I definitely plan on teaching a class for this Dress 'B' pattern. Here's to many more variations!


OneCraftyFox  – (April 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM)  

You did an awesome job Kelly!! I didn't know you have a serger... woot! Sergers are the best. It's my favorite part of sewing.

karyn  – (April 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM)  

love it kelly!! especially the lacey trim. nice touch.

Mrs. Niles  – (April 18, 2011 at 7:18 AM)  

Kelly! That would be great for my ever expanding tummy! Are you taking orders?
You did a great job on the shirt!

wubecca –   – (April 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM)  

very cute, kell! i'm very jealous of your serger/sewing talents! =)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP