Bored of no Board

Dustin and I have lived in our home for a year and a half now, and we still have no headboard. Our bedroom is a boring land of "super giant bed and nothing on the walls." It's quite depressing.

From sewing
We had gone shopping for a headboard but with no luck; we never found something we loved enough for the price they were asking. I had decided that I would just have to be creative and figure something else out.

A few months ago, I saw that the workroom sold embroidery hoops. I'm such a pack rat and hate throwing away pieces of scrap fabric bigger than the size of a cookie, so these embroidery hoops were going to be great for displaying favourite scrap fabric and decorating the boring wall behind my bed all at the same time! Two birds! One stone!

Except that it wasn't going to be one stone -- er -- hoop. So far I only have a few hoops. And I can't nail them to the wall until I have all of the hoops. How do I know how much room to leave? What if I want to move them around?! My dad used to hate when I nailed holes into the wall: "Ai Ya!"

The first hoop is from leftover fabric from my sister's baby bag. It's a gorgeous Echino fabric -- and when Cheryl (from Pink Panda Fabrics) sent me my fabric order, she included a sample of Moda fabric that was a perfect match. I love that it draws out the blue hue in the Echino fabric.

From sewing

The next hoop is fabric from my "Carrie Bradshaw / Christian Dior" dress. I added some shirring to echo my dress. Simple. But even that took me hours of humming and hawing.

From sewing

The final hoop (for now) is a tribute to "the birdie sling that got away." It will always have a special place in my heart.

From sewing

I'm thinking maybe another 3 or 4 more hoops of various sizes. Perhaps I should set a deadline otherwise I'll never get these done. I work best under pressure. "I promise to finish these hoops by November 19th." And those of you who know me know that when I commit, I never back out!

Carolyn –   – (November 9, 2009 at 6:54 AM)  

love it! And each piece has a story, so you will smile everytime you look at them. You are so crafty :)

Cheryl  – (November 12, 2009 at 9:35 AM)  

Kelly, this is such a great idea -- I've actually never thought of doing that for a headboard but now I will -- I have been living in my home for more than 3 years and many of the rooms have no headboard and they all feel "undone". Going to get some hoops and try this out.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP