Log Cabin, Drunkard's Path, Applique, and Nine Patch

The last few quilt classes have been spent working away at more quilt blocks. There's a crazy name for every quilt block out there. Sometimes even several names.

From sewing
From sewing

The log cabin is self explanatory: you build from the inside out, like a log cabin being built from bottom to top (listen to me talk like I've built a log cabin before...) Traditionally, the centre is a red fabric and then you make one side with light fabrics and the other side with dark fabrics. If you make an entire quilt with this block, you get some really cool patterns.

Here's a quilt from a silent auction donated by ALA Biblioquiters:

Drunkard's path is the only quilt block we made that involved curves. Not one of my favourites. Quilting has so much to do with precision that the curve made it just that much harder to be exact. My quilt block turned out to be almost 1/2 inch bigger than my other blocks. I'll have to figure out what to do when we sew all the blocks together... To keep the theme of the "path" I decided to make the outer part of each curve from a brick-like fabric.

From sewing

My favourite block so far is the applique. We learned how to hand-sew shapes onto the quilt block and make the thread almost invisible. So simple once you learn the right technique! I've decided that my next quilt is going to made entirely of appliqued birdies. You like my birdie fabric? See what I did there? Birdie background for the birdies?

From sewing

Lastly, the nine patch. You can make the entire block with nine patches, or make mini nine patches and match it with solid fabric like we did. Again: a little too much precision work for me.

From sewing

Only one more quilt block to show you then then we're sewing them all together!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP