Family Ties

From sewing

I just googled about the 80s show Family Ties hoping that it would ring some bells and I would start this blog post with a witty line. I have to admit, besides the fact that Michael J Fox was in it, I remember nothing else.

From the pictures and clips I saw, only Michael J Fox's character was sporting the occasional tie.

Let's talk about ties.

About a month ago, I took a class at the workroom with Emily and learned how to sew a tie. A tie that Dustin wore to his conference in San Francisco this past week. (Funny story: while Dustin was humbly boasting about the tie I made him, his colleague Mike was humbly showing off the cufflinks that his wife, Danielle, made him. Both Danielle and I are engineers in jobs that are a means to an end...)

The class was really so much fun. It's one of the easier things to sew, once you have a pattern and some quick instruction from Karyn. And although a cotton tie doesn't sound like it could be formal enough to wear at formal functions, I think it's all in the choice of fabric pattern.

I chose a sunny yellow with fine blue and green lines.




Emily  – (March 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM)  

mighty fine tie there. must be because you had the company of a mighty fine lady.

OneCraftyFox  – (March 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM)  

So awesome!! I *really do* have to go with you one time :) I just purchased a bunch (and I'm talking A LOT) of new fabrics with the intention of sewing each and every single one of my summer skirts and dresses this spring, lol!!

Mrs. Niles –   – (March 15, 2011 at 6:44 AM)  

Ugh, I wish I had my sewing machine already. I'm getting it in May and I can't wait. Maybe we could have a tutorial when you're in town next? Kelly's Sewing Corner? How To Make It Dunwell with Kelly? Bobbin It Up with Kelly?

Danielle  – (May 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM)  

Just started reading your post and came upon this blog entry! I enjoyed the little recap about Dustin and Mike showing off to each other in SF ;) You've got a fantastic blog - love the photos and the stories.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP